Rob was admitted as a Solicitor in 1994 and practiced in civil and commercial litigation. Over the last 15 years Rob has developed a particular specialism in property litigation. In what can frequently be a very complex area, Rob’s goal has always been to provide clients with the clearest and most commercial advice possible.
Property litigation, including:
commercial landlord and tenant,
the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954,
rights of way,
• Arbitration work, including in relation to the valuation of commercial rents. This includes engaging with valuers in relation to their draft reports and providing analysis of the grounds for appealing arbitrator’s awards/independent expert determinations.
• Hospitality sector commercial property, particularly public houses, restaurants and motorway service areas.
• Advice and arbitrations in connection with the Pubs Code etc Regulations 2016. Since the introduction of the Pubs Code in 2016, Rob has dealt with more than half of all referrals to the Pubs Code Adjudicator (‘PCA’), making him a leading lawyer in relation to that legislation. In order to better assist clients and instructing solicitors, he maintains a “Handbook of the Pubs Code”. Keeping the handbook constantly updated with the latest advice and decisions, allows him to instantly provide clients with guidance and advice on the complex legislation.
• Insolvency aspects of property contracts.
• Debt recovery.
• Commercial contract disputes.
This work has been for landlords and tenants, companies and individuals, national and local clients.
• University of Hull 1987-1990.
• Legal Practice Course (Store Street) 1991-1992.
• Gosschalks Solicitors (Hull) 1992-2000 (Assistant/Associate) and 2001-2020 (Partner and subsequently Joint Head of Litigation).
• Lupton Fawcett Solicitors (Leeds) 2000-2001.
• Solicitor’s Higher Rights of Audience 2020.
• Bar Transfer Course (BPP) 2020. (Reduced pupillage 3 months)